Saturday, June 07, 2014

Cub Scout Day Camp 2014

So today closed out my final Cub Scout Day Camp. It's only fitting that I started my involvement with Day Camp with Michael and since he is leaving to start the next chapter of his life, I shall too.  This was my 11th Day Camp and my third as the director.  It was a bit smaller than last year's but I think overall it went well.  We had to deal with some rain and had to adjust but I am so thankful to great leaders who stepped in to make it as painless as possible.  I was very sad that we had to shut our family day down early because of severe thunderstorms.

One of the main reasons I love Cub Scout Day Camp is because of the enthusiasm of the kids.  They are just excited about things.  They make me happy.  I love their need to show me everything and tell me all their random knowledge.  It brings joy to my heart.

I love that I have been able to do this with my kids.  Even though I volunteered them they had a choice when it came to their attitudes.  Neil was a rock star at the cooking station.  The kids loved telling me how much fun they had there.  Daniel helped Kevin out on the Archery range.  I got great feedback about his patience with the kids and how he took the time to show him how to do it.  Michael helped me in the admin area and honestly I don't know how I could have survived the last couple years without him.  He makes my job so easy.  Kevin and our friend Dave's overall support in setting up and breaking down camp makes me a pretty lucky girl.  I base the success of our camp on their willingness to help me.

Of course I had plenty of other help and I am so grateful for them.  I kind of drug in most of my church friends, thank goodness they understand service.  I love it!

Our theme this year was American Heroes.  I tried to incorporate as much as I could but unfortunately a last minute change in location caused me to change some of my program.  All worked out and our venue ended up being so much better for our camp.

It was bittersweet knowing this would be my last camp but it's time for me to move forward and do something else.  I know someone will step up and take charge and make it even better than I ever did.



No comments: