Tuesday, April 23, 2013

TDT #35 - Feeling Beautiful

A few weeks ago, I used a gift certificate I had purchased from a friend's daughter for a mini-makeover.  When I initially bought it, I didn't really think about going in and getting pampered a bit then having pictures done, I really just wanted to support my friend.  The salon doing the makeup and hair for the photo shoot is where I get my hair done and when I was last getting my highlights redone, I remembered my gift certificate and decided I better use it before it expired.

I had no real expectation going in to my appointment.  I had thought about trying to use the opportunity for a time when I could go somewhere I needed to be dressed up for but I didn't see that occasion anywhere in my immediate future so I just scheduled an appointment and decided it would be nice to get a few solo shots of myself that Kevin could have.  I rarely get professional pictures of just me...in fact, I don't even remember the last time I had any taken.

The mini-makover included a before and after shot.  I was told to come in as natural as can be, nothing really done to my hair.  Well, unless I blow dry and straighten my hair a bit, it looks crazy as you can see in the before picture.  But I guess the intent of these types of shoots is to show the transformation and you can clearly see that there was one.

My regular stylist did my hair and I really loved it.  I wish I was coordinated to do it myself, but I'm good to just be able to straighten my  hair and have it look decent most days, HA!

I'm not sure I enjoyed the make up part of the process as I don't typically wear a lot of make-up.  It is fun though, having someone else do the work for you.  I wanted to keep a natural look and overall I was happy.  I think next time, I will ask for less eye shadow as that just seemed too much.

Anyway, the point of this post really has nothing to do with those aspects of this adventure.  It had to do with the photographer and her ability to boost my confidence.  Now, I have a lot of confidence in most areas of my life, but like a lot of people, I have my insecurities.  Most of my insecurities lie in my perception of my physical body.  I have walked a lot of miles since Kevin left to Korea and I have lost very little weight.  I have watched what I eat and feel like I have had little results.  It is frustrating.  Most days I look at myself in the mirror and like what I see because I try to see my true beauty but some days I'm disappointed and frustrated at what looks back at me.

 
April really did something for me that few people outside my closest friend's can do.  She reminded me of my self-worth.  In the short amount of time that we took these few pictures, she commented at my beauty.  Repeatedly she mentioned that I was beautiful and she thanked me for allowing her to capture that.  She brought out the knowledge I already have that I am beautiful.  So simple and yet so profound for me.  I looked forward to seeing the pictures and when I received them,  I was very pleased.

I love these pictures but not necessarily because she did a great job in shooting them, editing them and creating a great product but because of the moments she allowed me to see who I truly am, inside and out.
Sometimes we need a reminder of who we are.  I'm grateful for these tangible reminders.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: