Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Young Women President

I believe I've mentioned in the past that in our church, we receive callings in regards to where we serve.  In the 10 years that I have been a member, I have held numerous callings, most of them in a teacher capacity.  I can honestly say that I have loved MOST of the positions I have been asked to serve.  There have been very few exceptions but I can still recognize why the Lord called me to those positions and am grateful for the opportunities to learn and grow when the Lord wanted me to.

A couple weeks ago I was called by my Bishop and asked if we could meet.  For some reason, I constantly feel like I am in trouble when I have to go see the Bishop and immediately started thinking about what things I may have done that he found out about.  That's really a silly way to think because I don't go out and do terrible things.  I really need to work on this thinking trap because it's not helpful and causes a lot of stress.

It was almost 3 full days before I got to meet with the Bishop and I had convinced myself that he was going to call me to serve somewhere I would rather not work.  I know, that's not nice to think about, but I'm just being honest.  As we begin talking, I started negotiating hard with the Lord in my mind about where I did NOT want to be called to serve and at the same time repenting for having such thoughts.  I know, I have issues.

I was completely taken aback when the Bishop extended the calling of Young Women President.  That had NEVER entered my mind.  I was overwhelmed at first and suddenly felt like crying.  I knew immediately that this is where I was to serve but wow!  Not growing up in the church, I really feel like my knowledge of the YW program is extremely small.  Taking on this leadership role really had me freaking out!  Thankfully my Bishop, friends and members of my ward had faith and trust in my abilities. 

I'm really looking forward to this experience.  I know that I'm not in this position just for the girls but so I can gain some perspective for me.  I already know and love these girls as I have served as Girl's Camp director the past few years.  I was asked to pray and call counselors to serve with me and that was truly an awesome experience.  I am blessed with amazing, strong, talented and loving women who I know have been placed right alongside me to serve these special Daughters of God.

I have so much to learn but am excited that the Lord placed trust in me to help guide these young women to understand their full potential!

No comments: