Wednesday, December 02, 2009

The Spirit of Christmas

A question was posed on a forum I belong to that sparked some emotion in me. Someone asked us all what we would want for Christmas if money was no object, told us to be *SELFISH*. It was cute to read all the dreams that everyone wanted. Most were realistic. I responded that I felt having Kevin come home to us was enough for us. Others responded after me and then a response came that sparked the emotion. I love all the ladies on this forum so I know it wasn't made with malicious intent, nor did I take it as such. It just made me think. They said that some weren't playing fair and that we were told to be *SELFISH*. It really got me thinking...

I've never been a big holiday person. Growing up, there wasn't much substance in them so I suppose I never had the excitement built up into any of them. We didn't have much and I knew from a very young age that most if not all of our Christmas gifts came from donations made to the Salvation Army or some other similar organization. I don't remember a time getting anything I truly desired. I've always known the real meaning behind Christmas and my mom always tried to keep our focus on that.

Once I got married and had my own family, I did want for my kids, the holidays I never really got. I have to tell you that looking back, overindulging my kids didn't fill any type of void. It didn't really make me feel better. Over the past few years, we have tried hard to keep the spirit of Christmas going through our house through the holiday season and really all year round.

So going back to the question about being *SELFISH*, I just don't even understand that sentiment. The Lord has blessed our family by bringing Kevin home each time he has deployed. We are blessed in so many ways and we recognize that, so we truly are content with what we have. Throughout our time at Fort Hood and the experiences we had there, we were enlightened with a different perspective. We have been blessed to be able to recognize what truly matters. So when I think about what I would want if money were no object...well, no need because money isn't in issue when it comes to the best gift of all and that is being a family, together again.

I didn't rush out and do any Black Friday shopping. Our children don't have any crazy wants on their Christmas list, in fact they too are content with what they have that we had to drag their wants out of them. To give you an example of what's on their Christmas list...Daniel wants a purple back scratcher. Can it get any simpler then that?

I wish everyone we know a Merry Christmas, and I hope all of your desires are filled. We have been blessed that this past June, we received our gift that will carry us through all year long and beyond. And yes, begging the Lord to bring him home to me is *SELFISH*, so include me the *SELFISH* category this holiday season!

3 comments:

The "Dish" on the Dastrup's said...

If you don't run for something...I'm going to nominate you! Anyways, wanting your husband back/home/safe IS selfish. You are TELLING the Lord that you want him, and that HE can't have him. It is selfish...now what would she say to that perspective?! Keep it up!

Amy said...

I agree with you (like always) since being married I've really only wanted to spend the holidays with Preston around.

Bringhurst Family said...

Isn't it selfish to want our spouse home and not share them? A perfectly good kind of selfish.