Thursday, December 11, 2008

ADHD is a Gift!!!

I rarely discuss any of the challenges that my children have been blessed with. There is a reason, mainly I don't want my children labeled or prejudged. There is enough of both of those in the world without adding to it by discussing those things when it comes to my children. I am not ashamed but to me what point does it serve to throw out what my children's specific challenges are upon introduction. Now in saying that, this is how I feel. I'm not saying it's not ok for others to do that if that's what they choose.

Anyway, today Neil had a doctor appointment to have his ear checked out and also to have his meds refilled for his ADHD. We didn't get to see our regular doctor since this was a last minute appointment so I was a bit nervous. We have been blessed (really in the military this is rare) to have had the same pediatrician for the four years we have lived here, she really does know my kids. The Dr. we got to see was GREAT! When I mentioned we needed his meds refilled, she asked me what they were for and when I told her, she turned to Neil and said...ADHD is a gift!!! Did you know that? She went on to tell me how ADHD kids are so smart and that they need medication to help them slow things down a bit. She explained it to him in relation to a car and brakes. She told him that just like a car needs brakes to slow down, these meds do the same thing for him. She told him that she thought he was great and to keep being a good kid. It was really a motivating appointment. It's nice to talk to someone who see's it like I do. I get tired of hearing the negative about ADHD kids. I hate the stigma that is placed on them that they are not smart or behavior problems. Neil excels at many things, he just requires a little bit of help to slow down a bit to get it done. I'm happy when people see it like I do.

She is right ADHD is a gift. Despite somedays when I feel overwhelmed with the challenges in our family's life with different characteristics that make up my children, I also work hard to remember that the Lord thought enough of Kevin and I to handle these special spirits. We have been blessed at being able to see the world in a whole new way and forced to step out of the "norm".

Oh and she won me over again when I noticed the sign on her bulletin board that said "Military kids are awesome people!!" They sure are...

5 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

WOW what a great doctor! Sometimes I feel like good doctors are few and far between... we've certainly met our share of both good and bad! I try to always cherish the good ones! Thanks for sharing! :)

Dana said...

She sounds awesome....and I love how she put ADHD is a positive light.

I once heard someone say that when her son was labled ADHD, she took it as a compliment for the same reason. "my son is brilliant" she would say. "the meds just help him slow down to our pace..."

Gallups Family said...

Thank you for sharing this. It sure is a gift, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Bringhurst Family said...

What a cool lady.

Michelle said...

Okay so that is such great perspective! I'm also tearing up because I feel pretty sure that Sierra is ADHD, but hasn't been diagnosed. That is such a neat way to love and understand behavior that can be so frustrating at times.