Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halloween Manners

I love Halloween. I love dressing up and the fun decorations and the colors. What I do not like about Halloween is the greediness and bad manners that comes along with it. It simply infuriates me if you want to know the truth. I have already been to 3 or 4 different events preceding the big Scary Day. And it never ceases to amaze me at how greedy and rude children can be. I work very hard all year long to get my kids to say please and thank you. I reprimand them when they approach anyone with any type of attitude. That does not stop on Halloween. It irks me that so many people forget their manners. Now this is not all kids, I had the privilege of attending a fun event tonight and the majority were very respectful and nice (there's always a few who aren't).

I was going to go on and write a really long vent but I've decided against it, what I am going to say is this... Please encourage your kids to remember their manners. Please and thank you go a long way. Now...just so I don't sound completely cranky, it's completely understandable if an infant to a toddler struggles to say the words, but then they can just look cute and that works for me. But if you are old enough to have manners, USE them. I won't give candy to rude kids, so if you knock on my door and are rude, hope you don't expect the goodies in return. Trick or Treat? Your treat will be a lesson on how to use the words please and thank you!


Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

Bringhurst Family said...

Amen.

Amy,Chuck,SabrinaKitty said...

I am the same way to. I like manners also.

Barton 6 said...

You know what I really love in our neighborhood? Well not just OUR neighborhood but Texas in General (I never saw this in Utah) is the 15 year olds who don't dress up and come up to my door with a pillow case the size of Santa's bag wanting candy. If you're 15 and you want to trick-or-treat then more power to ya. But PUH-LEEZE go the extra mile and atleast dress up for me! Oh and my husband is going as a happy soldier for Halloween. :-p I don't think I sent him enough face paint for that.