Friday, October 26, 2007

I Will Count My Blessings

Do you ever just stop for a moment and reflect on your life and thank Heavenly Father for your blessings? Or do you just focus on what is going wrong at this particular time in your life? I know I'm guilty of the second question. This morning as I was annoyed for like the 4th or 5th time at my husband's phone ringing, I was so frustrated. This was my morning to sleep in since the boys don't have school today. I was going to enjoy not having to be up early. But the Army ruined that for me. So after many feeble attempts to go back to sleep, I just got up and came downstairs. A few minutes later, I heard the shower start to run, and I immediately felt guilty. I was annoyed that I was woken up. My husband had to go into work at midnight and didn't return until after 2 a.m. He then had to turn around and go back in around 7 a.m. Mind you, the many annoying phone calls all occured during this time frame of 0200-0700. I might be up now but I do have the option to lay down later if I wanted to. My husband doesn't have that option. He will go in to work tired. He will work a long day in the chilly weather, outdoors, loading equipment for his impending training out in the desert of CA. How selfish can I be? He doesn't complain, oh he gets frustrated, for he is human. But he still puts on his uniform and heads off to work. He does this for us, so that I can stay home and enjoy my children. Who am I to complain? I am blessed to have a husband who is so willing to get up day after day and go into work to provide for our family. I'm sure there are days he'd like to quit but he never brings that attitude home.
I am so blessed. I have three beautiful children, each coming with their own set of challenges but the rewards are far greater. There is nothing better then hearing your children tell you that your Pigs in a Blanket are the bestest! Or having another chid ask if you can make his favorite peppermint chocolate candy. Or have a child lean up against your shoulder and whisper...I love you mom. There is no better heart picture (that's what I call images that Kodak can never capture better then the imprint left on my heart) then looking at a tired Soldier Daddy and his 6 year old on the chair sleeping together.
I truly am blessed. There's a lot I could be complaining about, impending deployment, injustice of the world, cold weather, and so much more. But I am choosing to Count My Blessings, the ones I call my husband and my three sons. I am grateful for these special men in my life whom the Lord has deemed me special enough to call my family.
So to my husband Kevin, thank you. Thank you for loving us unconditionally to do things I know you don't always like but never complain. Thank you for being you. I love you. To my boys, thank you for your sweet spirits. Thank you for the giggles and the hugs, the smiles and your personalities that make me thankful to wake up for each and every day. And to my Heavenly Father, thank You for allowing me the opportunity to be Kevin's wife, Michael, Neil and Daniel's mom and Your Daughter.

No comments: