Tuesday, December 25, 2012

TDT #18 - Blessed for Christmas

One of the ways I have always done my countdowns when my  husband is away is by counting trash days.  Most of the time it isn't as daunting a number as the estimated number of days he'll be gone.  And it helps me remember to put the trash out, or rather encourage my boys to put the trash out since it's their job.  So this will be my new weekly post, and I'll just really post whatever, no real set theme.  Please feel free to join me on this adventure of counting down the time until your loved one comes home! 
I mentioned in my previous post it's been a challenge to feel the Christmas spirit this year.  Not only for me but for my boys too.  We don't need snow or lots of presents to feel the spirit, we just like having our family complete.  I admit, I've been pretty down and it's been frustrating for me because I try really hard to remember that there is a reason.  I have a lot of faith and trust in the Lord and I know that He truly is in control.  
When we are out and about we are fine, we serve, we smile and we're sincere in all of that but when we walk back into our home, the obvious void of  not having Kevin home is huge.  Well last night we had a wonderful evening with friends...really, it's the most relaxed the boys have been in a long time.  I feel so lucky to have amazing people in our lives who look out for us and reach out to us.   When we got home we were happy and laughing.  Daniel told me that being at the Jacobson's was both "fun and funny".  Silly boy had us laughing pretty hard for while playing Taboo.

Kevin was up already and we were chatting via Facebook chat.  Skype has not been wanting to work for us the past few days.  I love technology and I am grateful to be able to chat with him almost daily.  I can call him and we do that too but there is nothing like seeing his face and his smile.  I prayed silently that we would be able to chat via skype.  I even posted a message to Santa on my Facebook to please bring us the gift of Skype...if you only believe!

Well, we were truly blessed!  We not only connected on Skype but we were able to stay connected for almost 3 hours!  I'm telling you that we have never been able to stay connected for more than 20 minutes since Kevin has been over in Korea.  So let me tell you it was wonderful.  

He got to chat with all the boys,
 
 watched them open their traditional Christmas Eve gift which is always an ornament
 
  and got to listen to Michael play the piano which is something he really misses.
Listening to Michael play the piano...I love the look on his face.
 He even got to see the pups and they were all excited to see him!
I love that my husband humors me.  I had this idea for the past couple weeks to get screenshots of us holding up a candy cane in the shape of a heart while talking on Skype.  I had asked Kevin to find a candy cane and it just so happened he had been given one that day.  He said he was actually about to eat it when I mentioned it.  He's been holding off on eating it until last night when we were able to talk on Skype and finally get my picture.  I'm happy with the result, even if it is cheesy!

 I feel truly blessed.  I have a lot to be grateful for this year despite being apart from Kevin.  We are all healthy and happy.  We have wonderful family and friends.  I have an amazing support system and so does Kevin.  We are never alone.  We have the gospel in our lives which reminds us daily that this separation is but a short time here on earth.  We have a Savior who loves us and died for us.  We have a loving Heavenly Father who is in control and provides us with experiences that will help us grow into who He wants us to be.
There is truly nothing more that I could want for at this time of my life.  We are truly blessed.

Now I have to go wake up my boys so we can finally open presents!  From our family to yours, we wish you the Merriest of Holidays and peace and love all year round.

Kevin saying goodnight after our three glorious hours of skype!


No comments: