Sunday, September 09, 2012

Daniel's a Viking!

Yesterday Daniel has his football combine and then the coaches did their drafts.  Today we got a call from Daniel's new coach and we are both happy with the outcome.  Initially Daniel wanted to be on a team with some of his friends.  As it happens, none of them are on his team.

Last year was Daniel's first year of football and it wasn't a great experience.  I wouldn't even say it was a good experience.  I'll be honest, I was very surprised when Daniel decided he wanted to play again this year.  I think I've mentioned before that Daniel isn't what one would call natural athlete but he is one with lots of heart.  He really liked one of his coaches but didn't understand why he wasn't played more and given the opportunity to grow and learn.  He spent a lot of last season very frustrated.

Well he went out there yesterday and tried his very best.  He wasn't the best, he wasn't the worst.  I really just hoped and prayed that he would end up on a team that would give him a little more opportunity than he got last year.  I feel really good about his coach, a couple of our friend's boys were on his team last year and the kids liked him a lot and so did the parents.

What really stood out to me though was when I was explaining to him that Daniel would likely be going to his first meeting without me.  I wanted him to know that I did plan on being an active participant in Daniel's football experience but that Kevin was in Korea and I was working on balancing three kids going three different directions.  I explained that Michael would take him and that he could be given any information that would be given to any parent.  Neil has a football game and I want to be there too.  Daniel told me he was okay with Michael taking him and that they would meet me after his practice.  I feel good about this.  Well after relaying that message to the coach his response was not one that I expected.  To be honest I wasn't sure that I was really expecting any type of response at all.  His coach told me that he loved coaching because beyond teaching them how to play football, he was glad he could help kids like Daniel while their parents were away (cue tears).  He said that he enjoyed being with kids and helping them go through things like this.  I knew immediately that this is exactly where Daniel needed to be.  I was truly touched by the sentiment this coach expressed.

It's funny because this coach is a yeller and he can be quite emotional.  I've seen it with my own eyes but I have never seen him berate a kid or anything like that.  The kids respond to him.  I laughed when one of my friends tried to warn me about him and his intensity.  I think Daniel will be fine...I mean if you've seen any of the boys wrestling videos...well Kevin can be a bit intense!

I'm super excited for this football season for Daniel, I know it's going to be a great one.

I have to laugh though, his team colors will be purple and yellow.  Those colors happen to be the same colors of our high school's rival.  When I told Neil what team Daniel was on, he told me I could buy one shirt and I could only wear it to Daniel's game.  I could not wear it to any of their school events or out in public otherwise he would ignore me, LOL.  I love my kids.

Oh my sweet baby, why must you grow up?


I don't think he's going to be asked to be the quarterback!


I love his hair...



No comments: