Monday, January 16, 2012

Sports Mama

I have to admit I was quite hesitant to let my boys play sports. When we lived in TX, I never let the boys play sports. Every year they would ask and every year I would say no. The two main reasons were always that I did not want to be running around with three boys in all kinds of directions when their dad was deployed or gone (which he was most of the time we lived in TX). The other reason was because I really wasn't sure I wouldn't be the crazy parent on the sideline (yes, that was a very real concern for me). Never has it really been an issue of worrying about kids being hurt playing "dangerous sports".

When we moved here I promised the boys they could play sports since Kevin was going to have an assignment that left him home more and I wouldn't be doing all the shuttling by myself. Michael claims I ruined sports for him forever by not letting him play when he was younger (insert eye roll here). But I'm okay with that, Michael is my kindred spirit, his passion and natural ability when it comes to music is AMAZING. I'm glad that music is a big part of who he is.

Last year was our first year dealing with sports. Neil took on football and did really well, then he went onto wrestling. I did not have too much anxiety with football but let me tell you wrestling was a whole new animal. I was not prepared for the level of anxiety I felt, nor was I ready for the emotions that came with watching your child become so emotional about a loss. Mix in that my baby wanted to wrestle too and I was a mess. I survived though and I was so amazed with how both boys grew so much in social skills and self-confidence.

This year both Daniel and Neil played football and I will admit it was really hard letting Daniel play. I tried hard to encourage him to play flag football but he wasn't having it. He wasn't the star player but he sure played his heart out and he learned so much. I was amazed at how he pushed through pain and frustration to do what needed to be done. And I love watching him interact with his teammates.

I have surprised myself when it comes to how I deal with it all on the sidelines. I admit I really thought I would be the crazy mom yelling at everyone from the sidelines. There have only been a couple times when I have acted slightly crazy but I'll argue forever that I was in the right!

I have no regrets for not having them play sports when they were younger, I truly believe we have to do what is right for our family during different times in our live. I am grateful for the opportunities they have to interact with others and learn and grow.

And I'm grateful that I have learned to be rather calm when my child comes home looking like this and not freaking out about it...


(Neil's face met someone's shoe at wrestling practice)

1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I was just thinking about this the other day. I haven't let my boys play sports either...but they've never asked. I think Clark may have mentioned it once or twice, but nothing serious. But now I am thinking, maybe I should put them in sports? Time will tell. It is nice not having a lot of commitments. And as kids get older it does get easier to be more mobile. So we'll see. I think it's awesome that you what was most important for your family!