Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Fallen Hero: Cpl P. Zanowick II, USMC


I don't do online voting, I rarely post one of those annoying statuses about father week, son week, whatever week. I don't do any of those silly color games on Facebook and I rarely forward any type of email that promises you either good things or bad things.

This however was a request I would not ignore...this is a request that I am privileged to honor. I have a friend Heidi, whom from the very beginning gets "it". It's hard to explain what "it" is but we are similar in many ways and I am grateful to have her in my life. She is an amazing Military Spouse (Marines) and just an amazing human being.

Last week her husband's battalion lost a brother. My heart aches for the family, the friends and anyone who loved/knew that young Marine.

Please take a moment...say his name, read his story and honor his sacrifice. And thank you dear friend for allowing me to honor this hero.

Fallen Marine's family honors his life

Megan O'Rourke
Miamisburg, Ohio (WDTN) - Tuesday afternoon, the Zanowick family found a peaceful refuge on the back porch of their Miamisburg home. It was a quiet escape from the emotional events that have unfolded over the last few days.

On Friday, 23 year-old Corporal Paul Zanowick Junior was killed by enemy fire while on patrol in Afghanistan.

"I just want people to remember him for who he was," said Ryan Zanowick, Zanowick's wife. "You know not only was he a great Marine, but he was also a great son, brother, husband and father".

Moved by the tragic of events of 9-11, Paul Zanowick Senior said his son knew early on that he wanted serve his country. Zanowick enlisted in the Marines in January, 2008.

"He had such a sense of wanting to protect us," said Paul Sr.

"You don't want this day to happen. That was a huge fear, but i respect what he choose to do and I honor it, but I would gladly have gone instead," he added.

Cpl. Zanowick made the ultimate sacrifice, but it has not gone un-noticed. American flags now hang in his honor throughout the Zanowick's Miamisburg neighborhood. A touching tribute that the family says is helping them heal.

"Overwhelming," said Zanowick Sr. "I just want to thank everybody who has contacted us, tried to contact us, prayed for us. If not for the prayers I'm not sure we could do this".

3 comments:

USMCWIFE said...

Thank you Nadine! It means a lot to me that you shared but I had a feeling you would since you understand more then most!
Again Thanks.

Amanda said...

Please express our deepest condolences to your friend & the family of Cpl Zanowick. Thank you Cpl Zanowick for your service & sacrifice- we will not forget.

Unknown said...

Yes, this is the neighboring town to us. We heard about it on the news. :( Small world... Hit close to home. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Cpl. Zanowick II.