Thursday, February 24, 2011

Aching Heart

My mind has been going and going since yesterday when I got the news that another Soldier we know took their life over the weekend. I just can't make sense of it all. In September, another Soldier we knew took his life. They were both First Sergeant's in Kevin's previous battalion, both people I had worked with during Kevin's last deployment. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a friend talking it out, but we both hung up still wondering why and with an ache in each of our hearts.
Just the day before I was talking with someone I volunteer with about how we know that the Army (not disregarding the other branches, just happens we were talking about what we know...the Army) was working hard to try to get help for our Soldiers and their Families (suicide is not only real for our Troops but their Family members as well). More and more resources are available but there is still a disconnect in getting to them. We just have to get better about reaching our Soldiers and letting them know there is help.
But aside from wishing they could have found help, my heart cries for the pain they were in. I can't imagine the pain or whatever emotion they were feeling that they felt this was the only way to not feel it.
I wish I could convey what I'm feeling inside but to be honest I'm still trying to figure it out. I just wish we could reach our Soldiers before it's too late. I wish that we could have done more, reached out more, done something more...
God Bless You J.L and B.G and all our Troops who felt they had no other option...I'm sorry we let you down....

2 comments:

Daughter of The King said...

That is so sad. This topic has been on my mind a lot lately. With my husband being in a Wounded Warriors Battalion this is all to real for us. Hugs.

John, Heather, Emma, Lily & Jana said...

Reading this hurts me too. The questions swirl through my head - I'm so sorry for your loss and for the families left behind. Will pray today for them.