Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Yesterday was a day of togetherness and relaxation. We kept it very low key. It started off with a Turkey Bowl. The men (both "old" and young) met out on this very cold, rainy day to see who would come out victorious. I went to take pictures and nearly froze to death! It was COLD! It was fun watching the few families who were brave enough to come out though. The young boys were determined to beat the dads. I was a wimp after about 10 minutes and returned to my nice warm truck where I stayed until they made me step out to take a group picture of them. The boys all had a wonderful time.

I loved that I did not have to stress about making a big dinner or worry about if I was going to have enough time to get everything in the oven. We made the decision to go to the Dining Facility (DFAC) for our Thanksgiving Dinner. I have gone in the past with the boys while Kevin was deployed and I have never been disappointed. This is a big event for the cooks and workers in the DFAC. They go all out! We had all the traditional food of Thanksgiving, turkey, potatoes, yams, pies. But we also had prime rib, shrimp cocktail, cake and shakes. The teams made awesome displays of unit crests made out of frosting, cake and candy. The meal was served by different leadership teams from around post. I love the traditions in the Army and am proud that I had the opportunity to partake with my family and friends in a wonderful day of thanksgiving and food (it was so good, have I mentioned that yet?)

We stopped briefly to see if they needed help at the USO and they didn't but they did hand us a couple pies to take home (YUM) and then we came home and became bums for the rest of the day.

We are truly blessed, having been apart for so many holidays I feel lucky to be a family this year and to also spend it with amazing people in our lives. This Army lifestyle is such a blessing to us, I have met some of the most amazing people and I'm lucky to call them my friends.

I hope that everyone had a wonderful day and please remember every day the thousands of Troops are spending this holiday season apart from their families and friends. God Bless Our Troops!

No comments: