Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Start of Change

Today was our Brigade Change of Command, it was also our Battalion Change of Command. It was a bittersweet day as we say goodbye to a good command team in LTC Norton and his wife Leslie. We have about 2 more months before we head out of Hood ourselves but today was a reminder that this chapter in our life is about to end, a new one is about to start. We are excited about whatever the Army has in store for us next.

I love attending Change of Commands. I always encourage all the students in my Army Family Team Building to attend one at a Brigade level if they haven't ever attended one. I admit that being here at Hood adds an extra element when it comes to doing Cavalry traditions. I love that they use Bugle Calls and that they have the band there, that isn't the case at every installation.

I try to take the boys any time I can because Kevin and I feel it's important to each them the customs of the Army and also so they know why it's important to honor our leadership.

It was sooooooooooooo hot today, I thought I was going to melt. I was hot before I even got out of my car because two Soldiers cut me off for two different parking spots. That seriously annoyed me but it worked out since I got an even better spot. I counted 7 Soldiers who had to step out of formation due to the heat, I hope they are okay. I always disliked standing in Change of Command formations, I will admit to having a better appreciation for them when I am sitting in the bleachers.

The Army is about change and sometimes that can be hard. I'll be sad to say goodbye to many of the great people we have met here but I know that our time here is done. Today begins the start of those goodbyes...

No comments: