Thursday, February 05, 2009

Somewhere in the Middle

It's a time of transition here at Fort Hood. The hustle and bustle of military life. White buses coming and going. Tears of goodbye and tears of hello. Signs on the fences alongside the installation and the overpasses. News reports of the Welcome Home and news reports of the goodbyes. And somewhere in the midst of it all, there we are. Almost 8 months into the deployment. Finally over the halfway mark. Rumors are flying that our tour will be shortened to 12 months but that's all they are at this point...rumors. I've been around the Army long enough to not set my hopes up because when you do, they get brutally crushed. Kevin hasn't even made it home for his R&R leave. And this was our choice, so I'm not complaining. We wanted to take it as late as possible because it's just easier that way. The second goodbye is so much harsher then the first. So my choice was to prolong it. Really it makes sense to us even if it doesn't to anyone else. But now as time goes on and I see the reunions, I'm ready to see my husband again. I'm ready to be a family that lives together for more then a few months.

I'm also ready to quit hearing how much worse everyone else has it then we do. I hate that anyone has to say goodbye to their Soldiers. I hate that no matter how long your Soldier is home between deployments it's never long enough. Telling me that your husband wasn't home as long as mine, especially in front of my children doesn't diminish the pain we feel while he is gone. I try to be supportive of everyone in this journey called Army life. But right now, today, I'm just as tired as everyone else and I miss my love as much as the next and I think it sucks too. Please don't diminish the trial that we must endure to make yourselves feel better.

As I watch the buses roll both on post and off, my heart aches for every one of those Soldier's families. I know the pain they are feeling, we are living the life too.

12 months or 15 months, really it doesn't matter, one day is far too long to be apart from the one you love the most.

4 comments:

Cheryl and Scott said...

Nadine, that was absolutely beautiful. You have such a way with words. I am so grateful for the sacrifice that you and your boys make to allow Kevin to protect our freedom. Thankyou!!
I hope Kevin gets to come home very soon.

The "Dish" on the Dastrup's said...

Nadine, you are an incredible strong person. You have a great family. You know that you will make it through things, but that it is not always easy every single day. I know this too. I'm so glad that you are who you are and for all the things that you do. I'm so glad that you were able to find the church and choose to be an eternal family. You will always have that to hold you up. We think of you all a lot, Sarah and all

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Thanks for that Nadine. Thanks to Kevin too. He sounds like an amazing man. You must be one of the luckiest wives in the world. Hugs.

Bringhurst Family said...

Everyone's pain is personal and real and I don't know how many reach down inside themselves through their own pain to help lift others but it must be done by at least some or everyone stands alone.