Thursday, July 26, 2007

School Supplies

Does anyone else find the lists that come out every year more and more ridiculous? I understand the reasons behind them and do understand that they need these items since our funding in public schools is constantly being cut. However, what I cannot understand is the detail of these lists, the type where they specify the actual NAME BRANDS that they want bought and sent into the classrooms. I just want to say this...if I don't use Bounty paper towels at my house, you certainly aren't going to get them for your classroom.

Here are the examples of the school lists for two of my children.

First Grade

3 Boxes of Crayola Crayons (24 basic colors)
3 Folders with Brads and Pockets (Red, Blue, Yellow)
1 70 page Spiral Notebook (wide rule)
2 Bottles of Elmer's Glue (NOT BLUE)
9 Glue Sticks
1 Pair of Fiskar Scissors (Regular)
3 Boxes of Kleenex
1 Pack of Baby Wipes
2 24 ox packs of #2 pencils
2 -2 pack erasers
2 Bottles Germ X (16 oz)
1 Supply Box
1- Gallon Size Ziploc Bags

Fourth Grade
24- #2 Pencils, regular
4 packs of Notebook Paper (wide rule, 3 hole)
2 Glue Sticks
1 Pink Eraser
1 package of Cap erasers
1 12" inch ruler with inch and centimeter markings
1 Box of Crayola Crayons (24 regular)
1 Box of Colored Map Pencils
1 Supply Box, Snap Shut lid
5 Folders with pockets and brads (different colors)
4 - 70 page spiral notebooks
3 Boxes of Kleenex
1 Bottle of Germ-X
1 Bottle of Liquid Soap
1 Roll of Bounty Paper Towels
1 pair of Fiskars Scissors
Dry Erase Markers
5 Book Covers
1 Box of Wipes

Here's what I want to know...WHY do my children need 48 pencils?? Why are my children providing soap, can our schools not at least provide that basic staple? My children no longer wear diapers, why are we sending in Baby Wipes? Oh yeah, yet another item they use as a cleaning supply, again, why are sending in things that the School district should be supplying? Bounty paper towels, are you kidding me, the Mardi Gras brand works great for the Albrecht Family, it will work for a bunch of 1st Graders. Germ-X hand sanitizer...my ever resourceful husband brought home a case of hand santizer that his unit was going to throw away before they deployed because they had to get rid of it for storage sake. So let me say this..if it's good enough for our Soldiers, it's good enough for some 4th Graders and it's not Germ-X.

Have any of you seen the desks that our children sit at...is there room for all the things on this list that we send in on the first day of school? No, so what happens is it's all collected in one general area and next thing I know my child is coming home telling me he needs a pencil because he lost his...now, where are the other 48 pencils I sent in? Used up by other children. Paper is a huge issue, one year I must have sent in 20 packs of paper, this was after sending in the 4 required at the beginning of the school year. Just ridiculous. I don't mind that they consolidate but what I do mind is the fact that after I've spent $30-$50 on school supplies that SHOULD have lasted MY child the school year I am having to spend more money to resupply because his "extras" have been doled out to other students. My last thing is Kleenex, if you have a child with allergies, send in extra boxes, I do because frankly I'm tired of supplying the entire class with tissues month after month.

There are items on that list that are NEVER used...Ziploc baggies, not used in fourth grade be we still have to send them in. Dry erase markers were sent into a second grade teacher who stated that she herself used them, the students did not. And not trying to make any teacher out there mad but you all can itemize and get a tax break on your purchase of school supplies...can you give us a break.

When you figure out the cost of lunch meals, those at the school or whatever you have to buy to make at home, school clothes and school supplies, we may have to start taking out a loan.

I understand that we need to send our children to school prepared, I just want those creating these lists to be realistic and DO NOT give my child grief over their Rose Art crayons, Rose Art glue, Mardi Gras paper towels and their scissors that are obviously from the year before (they are still perfectly useable!). Be grateful for what I send in and use it! My child will still get the fundamentals down using his generic brand pencil and crayons!

That does NOT include what I have to purchase for my soon to be middle schooler, an additional blog will be made after I recieve that list I'm sure!

1 comment:

Bringhurst Family said...

Wow girl you've got some long lists this year for sure. I was surprised how short Syd's was. Now I know some brands need to be specified because some off brands are crap and only last one week then they end up replacing them with the extra's of the kid who bought the name brands. As for papertowels and name brands I agree with you there. And the tax break for teachers... well I've used it and it has a limit! I'm glad I only have one kid to buy school supplies for. I think I will need a loan when all three are going. BTW I reuse stuff from last year too and I was really frustrated when some of the stuff I bought last year came home at the end of the year basically unused... Just some of the stuff I'm resending this year =)