Monday, May 21, 2007

The Moving Wall






We had the opportunity to visit the Moving Vietnam wall this past Saturday evening. I was overcome with emotion even as I was simply approaching the Veteran's Cemetary where it was being displayed. I cannot even describe the feelings that I felt. As we walked along the names I was so overcome with emotion. I think since sending Kevin off to Iraq last year I have become even more emotional about our Veterans and our Fallen Heroes from each generation. We also had the opportunity to meet a Gold Star Mother. It was quite interesting as I went through the memorabilia tent once and then we walked around the grounds a bit. Daniel decided he needed to go to the bathroom so we walked back to the porta-potties and I went into the tent again and as I was looking over the items displayed a date caught my eye. April 28, 1969 is the day that Michael Schafernocker was killed in Vietnam. April 28, 2006 is the day we lost our friends Bryant and Jose in Iraq. I don't think it's a coincidence. Mrs. Schafernocker spoke to us for a bit and tears were shed and we took a few pics...it was a very neat experience, one I hope my boys will remember for a long time, if not a life time.






















No comments: