Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Not Just a Bracelet...


A couple weeks ago I was at the lab in our local Military hospital when the young Soldier drawing my blood asked me about my bracelet.  He mentioned that he had seen quite a few people who wore them, mostly Soldiers, and he wondered what they were.  I looked at his young face and smiled and proceeded to tell them what the black bands were all about and then went on to tell him about the two Soldiers for whom my bracelet honored.  As he withdrew the needle and bandaged my arm, he put his hand on my arm and thanked me for sharing.  I looked at him and thanked him for asking.

Everyone wears the bracelet for different reasons.  9 years ago I made a promise to honor these men.  I promised to never forget.  The bracelet is a reminder to me of that promise.  Some people don't need the bracelet and I hope that even if I wasn't wearing the bracelet that I would still be doing my best to honor these men. 

It's weird to think that it's been 9 years since these men were called to Heaven.  I've had people ask me if I am ever going to stop wearing the bracelet.  I don't know.  Whether is 9 years or 49 years, I plan on doing all I can to never forget these men and the many others who were called home sooner than anyone anticipated. 

A couple months ago, Kevin's bracelet broke.  He has worn that bracelet for almost 9 years.  Slipping it on his wrist a few weeks after Bryant and Jose were called home.  I can count on one hand how many times he has taken it off and only out of necessity.  When he slipped it off after it broke, my heart ached when I looked at his face.  This bracelet was important to him.  I anticipated this moment and 9 years ago I had set aside an extra bracelet for him.  It's not just a bracelet to him.

I can't pretend to understand what the Herlem or Gomez family are going through on this day and I don't want to nor do I want to take anything away from them.  I'm simply sharing how important these men are to us and our promise to honor them the best way we know how. 

We live our life serving Soldiers, we try to honor both the living and the dead.  We wear a black band on our wrist...

It's not just a bracelet...it's a legacy.



1 comment:

plantfreek said...

Appreciate your commitment. I'm mom to Army/Navy Sils. Both have deployed to Iraq and will be going back. Thanks
God bless you.
Chris in Indiana