Tuesday, March 12, 2013

TDT #32 - Transitioning Army Wife

One of the ways I have always done my countdowns when my  husband is away is by counting trash days.  Most of the time it isn't as daunting a number as the estimated number of days he'll be gone.  And it helps me remember to put the trash out, or rather encourage my boys to put the trash out since it's their job.  So this will be my new weekly post, and I'll just really post whatever, no real set theme.  Please feel free to join me on this adventure of counting down the time until your loved one comes home!
 A few weeks ago, my time as an FRG leader officially came to end.  It's interesting as that phase of my life just simply drifted away.  It's kind of odd to know that I'm not really affiliated with any unit even though my husband is still actively serving.  Why is this even significant to write a blog about?  Well, for the last 12 years, I have been active in FRGs, and for the majority of the past 8-10 years have served in some type of leadership position among the group. 

I feel pretty fortunate that I have had mostly good experiences with the FRG.  Trust me, I've dealt with the special kind of crazy that often comes with that type of position but I have also had some of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  I have met some of the most amazing people who I call dear friends and I've met some pretty crappy people who I hope to never see again in my life (unfortunately, those are the ones that seem to always pop back in our lives!).

I'd like to think that the opportunities I have been blessed with while serving with the different FRG's has made me a better person.  I know that I have learned compassion on a whole new level, I have also learned patience.  I have been blessed with amazing mentors who really helped me out as a young wife.  I have gained a deep appreciation for our Soldiers and made some awesome connections with many of them and their families.  I have seen Army families at their best and their worst and I have seen them endure what some can't even imagine.  Even in the toughest of times, I have felt truly blessed with the opportunity to serve in a capacity that few ever get a chance to see.  I have experienced emotions that can't even be explained and it has been worth every moment!

There have been times when I was heartbroken to leave a unit behind and hand over my Soldiers to someone else.  Other times, I couldn't get away fast enough.  I have been to points of feeling so emotionally drained and I didn't know if I could ever try again.  I have always been drawn back though, knowing that I could make a small difference...some way...some how.  My last couple years have been at a much slower pace, leading a unit while in a garrison environment.  I realized quite a while ago that my time was almost over.  It was time to hand it over to the next generation.  I hope that I've done half as good a job as those who mentored me.  I hope that those who follow behind will take care of Soldiers and their Families and love them and appreciate the opportunities that they will be blessed with.

In 25 months our time in the Army will be done.  I realize that my role has significantly changed and now my focus has to be on me and my family as we transition out.

Thank you to all who have been a part of this chapter in my life.  Thank you for all the amazing experiences and memories that I will cherish forever. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

I can only imagine how many families you have blessed with your leadership! :)