Saturday, August 11, 2012

Clear the Roads!

Internet Image
Just kidding...

Our firstborn child got his driver's license a couple weeks ago.  Can you believe I typed that so calmly?  I was so stressed about him getting his actual drivers license and being able to drive all by himself.  Alone.  Without his mama.  I won't tell you the crazy, irrational thoughts I had, just know that they were pretty ridiculous.  I couldn't even take him to do his drivers test, I had Kevin do it.  It didn't help my nerves any when they came home from the test and told me that he passed his driving test but needed an eye exam.  I was confused, Michael wears contacts/glasses.  It hasn't been that long since his last eye exam.  After pondering that for a bit I decided to ask him if he was even wearing his contacts.  His reply...no.  Are you kidding me?  I went into irrational mom mode and said if he couldn't even wear his contacts on the day of his test, how could I believe he was responsible to drive alone?  Overreacting much, yes.  Kids are kids and he's a great kid.  Sometimes lacks a bit of common sense but who doesn't at times?  We simply took him back another day and he was fine.

I had told Kevin that before he left, Michael had to get his drivers license.  There was no way I was going to be able to handle his first drive away from our house alone on my own.    I seriously thought I would have a heart attack or something.  Come to find out, it wasn't that bad at all.  In fact, it was quite convenient.  I sent him to the PX to grab me some hangars.  I realized right then and there that it was going to be quite handy having this child, whom I'm the boss of and control 100%, around with a license.

He has been driving himself to band camp all this past week and next week.  I didn't have to take him to his Scout meeting.  I sent him to our local steak house for salads the other day.  He took his brother to wrestling practice.  Yes, I think I will enjoy having a child with a driver's license.  What the heck was I worried about?

Hey Michael, I need a Pepsi, can you run to the shoppette?

No comments: