Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Music of My Heart

This beautiful child was asked recently why he didn't wrestle like his brothers. We joked about all the possible answers he could have replied with but what I told him in the end was that I was grateful that he is traveling his own path and working on the talents that the Lord has blessed him with. Sure, I believe that with hard work and perseverance, he too could be a wonderful athlete (he has a great running stance and could be an amazing cross-country runner if he chose to be). Michael's interests are different, he loves music. He picked up the bassoon in 6th grade and has never looked back. He has since taught himself how to play the flute, piccolo, clarinet and piano.
There are some in the world who might say that playing those instruments isn't "manly". I believe when the time comes to find the girl that he will spend eternity with, those will be some of the things she will love most about him. I love listening to him play the piano or practice the other instruments. We have never felt tortured as I'm sure my parents did when I started playing the flute decades ago. I am amazed at this natural ability he has and his desire to nurture the talent that Heavenly Father has blessed him with.

We have spent quite a bit of time sitting in bleachers cheering on wrestlers and football players. I felt so blessed to be able to sit in an auditorium last night and listen to my child and his fellow band members play three pieces beautifully. My sense of pride is no different. I wanted to stand up and cheer at the top of my lungs but I held back and simply beamed with a smile and a thankful heart.

Michael is the music of my heart and I feel richly blessed.

For your listening pleasure, the three pieces performed by the Waynesville High School Wind Ensemble. They received all 1's last night by the judges and those were well deserved!

March from 1941


Shenandoah (listening to them play took me back to my show choir times in high school. I auditioned for show choir my senior year, singing this very song)


From Four and Beyond

No comments: