Sunday, December 04, 2011

Eye Have Mommy Guilt

Yesterday, the boys and I went to help set up a holiday party for one of our National Guard units here at FLW. If I really wanted to venture off on a totally different tangent, I would tell you how ungrateful and rude certain people there were, but I am just going to let that go and move on.

Anyway, at one point Daniel started telling me that he had something in his eye. I had him flush his eye, I looked and didn't see anything. The medic in the unit checked him out and said he didn't see anything either. I took him home and we flushed his eye with some saline and he told me that it was feeling better.

I decided yesterday would be a good day to take the boys to shop for one another for Christmas so we ventured out, had lunch and then hit the stores. Daniel was okay for a while and then he started complaining again about his eye. I thought it was just irritated from all the rubbing since I looked again and still saw nothing. We walked around Walmart with ice packs hoping to lessen his pain. He was so miserable at one point that we just came home and he laid down and took a nap. When he woke up he told me his eye felt so much better. He showered and when he came out, I could tell his eye was still bothering him.

I asked on FB for some opinions because I was at this point becoming extremely worried and wasn't sure if I was overreacting or not. The consensus was to take him in. I am so glad I did. Come to find out, he had a tiny piece of plastic something embedded in his eyelid and it was scratching his eye. Thankfully, it did not scratch his cornea.

Shortly after we got there, they put some numbing drops in his eye and he felt immediate relief. They put some orange drops in and looked at his eye with a black light and saw the scratches. After that they flipped his eyelid and found the plastic.

He looks like he has serious pink eye today but is doing so much better. I felt so bad for not just going in, thankfully he is okay.

Sometimes as a mom, you just don't know what to do, I'm grateful for people in my life who don't treat me like I'm stupid for asking a simple question.

2 comments:

USMCWIFE said...

Will the perfect mother in the room please stand up? LOL no ones standing...you did the right thing..I once almost didnt take my son to the hospital when he hurt his arm..someone told me I probably should, it looked fine to me but I took him anyhow..he needed surgery..so see we all do it....glad he didn’t scratch his cornea.

The "Dish" on the Dastrup's said...

We all want to laugh with you and hug you at the same time. We've all been in the same spot. Nobody wants to be an over-reactive mom! Glad you got it figured out and on its way to healing.