Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Future Soldier?

Or Airman, perhaps even Marine? Last night my oldest son Michael and I went out for ice cream and had a lovely chat about his future. He knows what he wants to do when he grows up he just doesn't know the path he is going to take to get there. Listening to him last night made me happy and sad all at the same time. I want to know what happened to my little boy.

When did he become this young man and why is time going so darn fast? He had mentioned earlier this week about how a Marine had come to his school and talked to the band about the different opportunities that are available to them. He was very excited about it. He has over the past few years expressed some interest in joining a branch of service and playing in one of their bands. Music is a huge part of Michael's life, his future will incorporate music in some way. He doesn't want to make the Military his career forever but he does see it as a stepping stone for lots of experience and opportunity. I am proud of him for thinking about all of his options.

Last night I admit that my heart ached a bit. I have sent my husband off to war more than once. I don't know how I could send my son. I know that sounds so selfish and I'm not saying that I wouldn't, I just can't imagine it. I cry on the first day of every school year and he's only going a few miles away, how could I possibly send him into harm's way thousands of miles away?

It's silly to worry about things that aren't even a reality right now but I'm a mom, that's what we do.

Last year Michael was in JROTC at his high school and when I look at the pictures my heart is overwhelmed. In less than two years, he could wear that uniform for real. I would be proud of him no matter what choice he made.


Can the next two years go by a little slower? Is that too much for this mom to ask?

No comments: