Thursday, November 10, 2011

I Cried

(photo courtesy of FLW PAO)

I woke up this morning and knew what was on the agenda before I even opened my calendar.

I cried.

I read an article talking about how two of the three fallen were a part of the recovery team of the helicopter that crashed with Seal Team Six.

I cried.

I got dressed and placed my "In remembrance" pin on my shirt.

I cried.

I walked into the chapel, I took my seat and I saw the "Battlefield Crosses" displayed on behalf of the three fallen fighters.

I cried.

My husband walked in and sat beside me, it was the first memorial he has ever attended with me.

I cried.

I read through the memorial program, reading about the lives of these three fallen men.

I cried.

I listened as they were eulogized by those who served with them, the closing remark of one young Soldier "I miss my friend" breaking my heart.

I cried.

The Chaplain quoted John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. We are all their friends.

I cried.

A slideshow being played showing pictures of these three vibrant men, with smiles that appeared immortal.

I cried.

They called their names, the response was silence.

I cried.

21 Gun Salute was fired.

I cried.

Taps echoed through the chapel.

I cried.

On the back of the program were these words:

"Don't Weep For Me" Don't weep for me O'land of the free, When it was my time to fall. 'Twas for my country's call, 'Twas for the land that I loved that I gave my all And for the land that I loved I did freely give. And in her freedom and her courage, I'll continue to live.

1LT Ivan Lechowich, SPC Steven Gutowski, and PFC David Drake...you are worth every tear that was shed today.

We will never forget.

No comments: