Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11 Veterans Day

My heart has been full today. I admit that it's been an emotional day. So many thoughts have run through my mind. I love my life. I love being a part of the Military community.
I think it's awesome that there is a day set aside to thank those willing to serve our wonderful country. It's interesting to think that I am a Veteran and yet I feel so removed from the word at times. I served over a decade, I wore the uniform but I didn't serve in a time that is as complex as it is right now. I didn't have to go to "war".
I am grateful for my time in service, I am glad that I got to do my part. I look back at my time in uniform and I smile.

Today as I stood on the side of the road watching the parade, I watched as so many different Veterans walked.
I watched as two of my own children marched in the parade and my heart was filled with joy that they knew what it means to honor a Veteran.
Michael with the Marching BandDaniel marching with his football teamNeil, the candy collector!

I caught myself looking at my husband time and time again and am so grateful for his sacrifice.
He voluntarily joined the Military and he has voluntarily deployed on more than one occasion. To say I am proud is an understatement.

I caught myself looking at the bracelets that Kevin and I wear and I thought about the thousand of Families who were honoring those who did not come home. I admire my friends who have made it their mission to honor their Fallen Heroes.
Today was a great day spent with my amazing family. Thanks to Applebees we had a great lunch where Kevin and I got our lunch for free. I loved sitting in the restaurant looking at all the Veterans, young and old. What a legacy.

Please remember, not just today but everyday that our Freedom is paid for by men and women willing to defend our nation on our behalf.
And to my favorite Veteran...I love you!


1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Our town had a Veteran's Day program and I didn't know about it. I was sad to miss it. I saw a lady in uniform at our school yesterday and it was so fun to see someone in ACUs! That was a normal sight at Fort Leonard Wood and I miss it. I loved our time in the Army and I miss that too. I know we're where we are supposed to be, but I still miss the Army life. It was a great experience!