Monday, January 17, 2011

Wow! That Must Suck!

So yesterday I was teaching my Sunday School class which consists of 12 and 13 year-olds. Somehow we ended up talking about video games and I mentioned that we don't play video games on Sunday or any day of the school week so my kids get about 1.5 days of video game time weekly. One boy responded LOUDLY to my 12 year old who is in the class "WOW! That must suck!"

Suddenly there was a big discussion. Seems that there were only two out of the 15 students in my class who's parents abuse them in such a way. We have always had that rule in place since game systems began to invade our home. We just want our children to focus on other things. And really, the time they have after school until bedtime isn't a lot of time. We love that they still enjoy being outside and playing games like chess or numerous other board games. All three boys enjoy reading and honestly we all hang out as a family.

The time will come soon enough when my boys will be grown and leaving our home and I don't want to look back wishing I had maximized our time with them. As far as our boys are concerned, they have never known anything different then the time allotted for video games so they don't feel deprived.

We all have to do what we feel is best for our families and I have never felt regret for limiting video games in our home. We have boys who talk to us, who interact with us, who still enjoy lounging along the bottom of our bed watching TV with us. Why would I trade that in?

4 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, how I would love to have that rule in our house. Alex is consumed with all things electronic and it drives me crazy. Nick doesn't seem to mind it. Since he's not "my kid" I don't get much say. It sucks.

Dana said...

Yup. You are awesome parents. We have the same rules. Although we have resisted the DS, Connor just won one at school.n that little box goes against everything we hope for. It's a one player-tune out the world-device. At least other systems have the option of being a family event.

USMCWIFE said...

That was always the rule in our house, video games on weekends only. Honestly he just didn't have the time and often even on the weekends was too busy with his extra curriculars to worry about games. He does love them but I think he is grateful that we set boundaries, sometimes kids just need us to do that. He is now in college and just doesn't have the time to be successful in school and play video games 24/7, they are now a treat for him when he does have the extra time.

TotallyContent said...

I hope that other student was Peyton as we too don't allow video games or tv on school nights and on Sunday. :-)