Monday, May 24, 2010

Military Book Recommendations

Just some short reviews of recent Military Books I've read over the past few months.

I'm Still Standing: From Captive Soldier to Free Citizen - My Journey Home
Shoshana Johnson

There are a lot of reviews out there, some say they liked it and others didn't. I thought it was a good book. Some argue that it seemed poorly written and that might be why I liked it. I really felt like I was reading her thoughts. I didn't go into it expecting perfection, I just wanted read her story. I liked her honesty about fears while in captivity and also about how the Army treated her. I think it showed how flawed the Military can be and how vulnerable a person becomes during stressful situations.

Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception and Dishonor in Iraq
Michael Anthony

I really didn't know what to expect when I picked this book to read. I had heard that it was a good book by many Veterans. It was not at all like I thought it would be, but I really enjoyed it. I expected another book talking about raids, patrols and who knows what else. But that's not what it was about at all. I really liked the author's very honest portrayal of how trifling Army leadership can be. And we aren't talking about the political side that the media shows. I'm talking day to day Army life and what young Soldiers often have to deal with.

Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives
Jim Sheeler

This book should be sold with a box of tissues. I appreciate that Mr. Sheeler wrote this book. These are the stories that many don't want to read or hear about. The hush hush of the realities of war. I thought this book was very well written, putting us right in the situation of delivering the news that would forever change the lives of so many families. I believe everyone should read this book and read the honor and dignity that ALL of our Fallen Heroes and their families should be treated with.

The Lonely Soldier: The Private War of Women Serving in Iraq
Helen Benedict

I started to read this book with some hesitancy. I have disliked most books written about female Veterans. This book made me reflect on my time in the Army. There are many that would argue that life for females in the Military isn't like it's portrayed but really looking back, I can see in all of my assignments the sexual harassment I dealt with. I appreciated the stories and the honesty behind them.


No comments: