Saturday, July 04, 2009

Freedom isn't Free, July 4, 2009

"Freedom isn't Free"

What does that mean? I've thought all day about what I would write in honor of Independence Day. I've had many thoughts going through my head. Different events throughout the day sparked different ideas as to what to write.

"For those who fight to protect it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."


The Army is our life. Because of that, we have a different perspective. I've talked with many friends, both military and civilian and the perspective is different. It's hard to comprehend what you don't understand. That doesn't mean that we all can't appreciate the roads that others travel.

So what does the 4th of July mean to me? Today I got to spend the entire day with my husband. For the first time in over 3 years I got to hang out with my love on the holiday that he represents every day of his life. It's a simple thing...to hang out with my Soldier.

I have good friends who don't have that privilege. That's right, a privilege...our freedom is a privilege, not a right, not an entitlement. There is a heavy cost that is paid by less then 1% of America.

The cost is blood spilled by a patriot.

"A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom."

The cost includes the loved ones that a Soldier leaves behind to carry the torch while their hero is in harm's way.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

I had a lot of thoughts throughout the day but it all comes down to appreciating the small things and being grateful for the sacrifices made by the many who serve to protect what our founding father's fought to provide us 233 years ago.

God Bless America and thank you Lord, for bringing my Freedom Provider home to us this year.

2 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Great post Nadine. I am so happy you have your Soldier home to celebrate with. Thank you.

irbuanosraL said...

Very touching, very true. So glad your familyc an be together on the fourth.