Wednesday, April 02, 2014

The Face of Autism in Our Home




Today is World Autism Awareness Day. Autism affects 1 in 68 children, 1 in 42 boys. In our house it is so much more than a statistic.

This is what Autism looks like in our home. I will be honest and say that we aren't ones who throw the term Autism around, not because we are ashamed but because we have spent most of Neil's life protecting him from being labeled. We learned early on in this journey that the world was not going to adapt to the amazing person he is but rather he would have to learn to navigate how to adapt to the world. We have been blessed to have people come in our lives who were willing to help us in that journey. Many know us from the early days, the struggles, the fear and the tears. The face of Autism you see in this picture is one who has overcome and who continues to conquer the label.

 
 There were days where I questioned why and then one day I asked, why not? Why shouldn't I be blessed with an amazing child who has taught me to love unconditionally, to appreciate small victories, to see the world in a way I might not have ever experienced otherwise. He breaks me and lifts me.

 
People often say they would never guess that Neil was any different, it makes me smile to know that we are achieving our goal. There are less bad days but they still exist. While we have many victories, we still have many challenges.
 

No comments: